Friday, March 21, 2008

Unison

Has anyone else noticed that if giant groups of people start chanting stuff in unison is sounds really scary after a few repetitions? It's like one giant zombie voice all moaning the same thing, and no one's doing anything else. Sometimes it really creeps me out. It's mindless and I think the power of the mindless masses is a scary thing. Haha. Anything from the Pledge of Alliegiance in a giant group to an inductance ceremony to fans chanting, "Go [insert team name here]!" can sound scary if you pay attention. Try it next time you're with a bunch of people saying the same thing.


Or, maybe I'm just weird.

4 comments:

G said...

I've noticed it. Like dances and fads, too. People acting in tandem, like a giant magnet has aligned all their minds.

This is why I don't say the pledge of allegiance anymore. It's mindless repetition of a phrase that has lost all meaning for me.

Like political conventions. Sign-wavers fill me with bile. So useless, so ignorant, yet so strongly opinionated. It's scary that people like that have just as much power as anyone else.

This might be vaguely related:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombies

KrisMarieWilson said...

I'm not sure everyone likes my random slightly-philosophical musings... I'm glad you comment on them :) haha.

Cameron Hilker said...

Oh, that one that says "Kris," that's me: Cam. I'm using her computer, and I didn't notice that she was still logged in here. Haha.

Dustin said...

Man, it's true. I was at a basketball game and concluded Louisville fans are, as a whole, scary. Now, to be fair, it's also the most dangerous campus in the US, HOWEVER, they're all zombie-like people that start chanting the same thing at the perfect time.