Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hair Cuts

I think it's interesting that we say thanks when someone compliments us on a new hair cut....as though we are accepting thanks because we did the cutting of the hair ourselves. How can we say thank you for something someone else did for us? It seems kind of selfish because you had absolutely nothing to do with it. You were just sitting there. Even if you direct the hair to be cut exactly to certain specifications, the hair cutter is still doing it; therefore, he or she gets the credit. Because really, we're all wearing art on our head. Someone else's art. Your hair is art the same way when a gardener cuts a bush to look like a giraffe, that's art. So when someone says nice hair cut, you should say, "I will tell my barber you liked it."

On the other hand, my hair cut costs about twenty bucks. I decided that's too much to pay for something being cut, even if it is art. What if you got paid twenty dollars for cutting a piece of paper or cutting cloth or cutting the cheese? It's just too much money for using scissors. Using scissors isn't that hard. I'm proficient in the ways of the scissors. I could make that money too, but I wouldn't want to. Why? Because I'd have to touch people's hair...everyone's oily, greasy, unwashed, disgusting hair. That's just gross. That's really what we're paying them so much for...emotional damages.

1 comment:

Cameron Hilker said...

so then, when someone designs a sculpture big sculpture... like the ones out on the streets of Chicago, instead of complimenting the artist, should we compliment the construction workers who built it?

oh wait, they're ugly. No one will be complimenting them.