Saturday, April 5, 2008

Unnoticed

Does anyone else wonder if what they did ever happened... rather, do you wonder if it matters? If no one noticed it, it's as though nothing happened.
For example: I take out the trash sometimes when no one's around. Ok, sure, I'm nice, whatever. BUT
if no one notices that it's gone, it's as though it never happened. It's as though the garbage was just that low in the can before hand. No one knows Cameron's not the lazy idiot everyone thinks he is. Siblings think they help out more than I because they let parents know they do the few things they do do. It appears that just because I am not obnoxiously outspoken about my helping out I don't do anything. And therefore it's as though I never did them because everyone believes I didn't. Mom will often just assign me more tasks because she didn't know I had already done several things. It's as though my chores didn't happen. I couldn't have done the dishes! No one else saw me! Right?
Chores aren't the only things done without recognition. How about creating things? What if you write a song, or a book, or make something, or draw a beautiful picture, and you don't show anyone? Does it have an effect on anything else in life? Does it do any good?
If anyone does anything, but no one else notices...Did it really happen?

On the other hand, does anyone need to notice it? You can know for yourself you're not a lazy good-for-nothing expensive resident of the household. (Those words were never used in describing me, so don't think my parents are actually that mean) You can know that you're a good person. You know you've got worth and that you did take out the garbage, did turn off the oven inadvertently left on, did the dishes, didwrite a song, did draw a picture. You know you're not a waste of time and space. And it's good.

Perhaps only we need to know for ourselves that we did anything good. Or, perhaps, being human, we need someone to recognize us. I don't know.

Do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha you said do do in line 10